Week 5: Pressure
- Why is the moist adiabatic lapse rate less than the dry adiabatic lapse rate?
- Why does "warm air rise"?
- On a day in Moscow (el. 800m) where the high temperature was 20C, what is the temperature on Moscow Mountain (el. 1300m) assuming the only factor determining temperature at different elevations is the lapse rate and the lapse rate is the dry adiabatic lapse rate?
- What variables do you need to know to determine whether the atmosphere is stable or unstable?
- What time of the day is an inversion most probable?
- What time of the day do you expect the most unstable conditions to occur?
- Geopotential Height
- Adiabatic Heating
- Environmental, Dry and Moist Adiabatic Lapse Rate
- Stable and Unstable Atmosphere